Friday, September 12, 2008

Luck - or something like it... (An Incredible Story)

I'm going to try to tell the shortened version of an incredible story that still makes me laugh when I think about it. Honestly, I still can't believe all of this happened within a week and a half. Talk about "luck."
A few Sundays ago we were driving down the canyon in our Honda (talking about how much we love it and what a great blessing it has been...) with our two little ones sleeping in the back when we turned a corner in the dark and HIT a deer. It was a HUGE deer with a huge THUNK and then it flew over the car. It happened so fast we didn't even have time to think about reacting. Huge bummer, the cost of the damage was more than we thought we could bare, so we are attempting to put the car back together ourselves a little bit at a time. (Broken windshield, crumpled hood, broken fender bumper and headlight and turn light.) ...
With one car out of commission we felt extremely blessed that we still had another car, and so thankful that nobody was hurt.
The next weekend we decided to go to St. George for the long holiday. We were dissappointed we had to take our less gas friendly jeep, but thought we deserved a break anyway. A break we got. As we pulled into town we heard a squeal in our car. AAARrrrgggg. Luckily we made it to Mark's parents house, where many mechanical minded family members helped us discover the problem. It was another expensive problem, one that would be impossible to drive back home, and considering it was a holiday weekend, we couldn't get it fixed in St. George either. But, we were blessed to have available to us a Suburban and a trailer to tow the jeep home on. Yay.
Now this next part is partially our fault : We miscalculated the gas gage and missed an important gas exit. The suburban sputtered to a halt. It was dark it was cold and Mark had to walk to a gas station to get gas for the suburban. (too bad we didn't have a hose or something to siphon the gas out of the jeep!) But, the children slept, and luckily the gas station wasn't too far. Within an hour we were back on the road.
So, finally we got home, with two broken cars (not enough money to fix them) and Mark was starting school. But, we had the suburban (for a day before it got sold.) Traveling from home to work to school to work was at times a bit of a challenge. Tuesday morning (the day we got home from St. George at 3 a.m.) I had a doctors appointment, which I borrowed my sister's car to get to. I am not kidding you, I got about a mile away from my house before somebody rear-ended me! I couldn't even believe it. I am still amazed. I felt awful for the poor boy who hit me. Even though technically it was his fault, I totally felt like the jinx that made it happen. Luckily his insurance has been compliant and that car will soon be fixed.
Wheww..... That has been our car trouble story.
With all of this going on I have felt humbled to recognize all of our many blessings. Nobody was ever hurt, we've always had help, and I even got a new job that is working out really well that doesn't take me away from my little children, which I am so thankful for. How can I really complain? I suppose that's why I continue to laugh about it. Some would say we've had a string of bad luck. Maybe. Or maybe, its all in how you look at it. Good luck, bad luck, call it what you will, I still believe we are super blessed by our Heavenly Father who loves us so much.
But please don't ask me for a ride.

2 comments:

bendanielsfamily said...

Emily your attitude is amazing to me!! I'm afraid mine would not be so good. I've gotten in a car accident right before I've had each of my kids. Car trouble is so frustrating. You are definitely an example to me!!!

CGhica said...

Well, Em, when I heard about the Lang's car drama, and yours I got worried about getting into any vehicle, and honestly have been trying to avoid them. But yesterday I went with Lisa in her mom's car to get a printer cartridge and (her luck no better than yours) we got rear-ended coming out of the parking lot. Luckily there was no real damage, but I thought of you!