Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Port

So I don't know if we ever explained this, but up to now when we have given Liam his IV medication it has been through what they call a picc line, which feeds into his arteries through his arm and leaves a short tube kind of dangling near his elbow.

Today he is off to get a 'port' which is a more permanent central line.  They put it in his chest and the access is actually just under the skin, so that when it is not being accessed, it will heal over and he can take normal baths and even go swimming next summer.  It's a nicer system, but it does require a minor surgery to 'install' it, so there is the risk of infection etc.

So an extra prayer today might not go amiss :)

2 comments:

Tiffany J said...

We have been praying! I hope everything goes (or went) smoothly! Liam is a true fighter and a strong boy! Love you guys!

Mama Janet said...

I have you all in our thoughts and prayers. I'm hping for a Happy New Year and peace in Liam's healing. I'm sure his little guardian angels are keeping busy.