Monday, June 11, 2012

Maintenance

About 8 months and 10 days ago I sat in aPCMC waiting room with my family while Liam went in for his first surgery. He had a bone marrow aspirate and had a picc line placed. As we sat through hours of instruction from doctors and nurses and trying to comfort our sweet little boy I told myself that I just had to get through these next 8 months. We can do it. We can do anything for 8 months. And then I can have my emotional breakdown. Then I will cry. I knew it was a long 3 and a half years ahead of us, but I'd just worry about this first year. It seemed so strange to be in the same waiting room today, while Liam went in for another lumbar puncture (one of dozens he's had since that first), the first of this new phase. Maintenance. We made it through that first 8 months. We made it through the "hard part." There is still so much more. And it is still hard. Its still confusing. Its overwhelming, and terrifying, and mind-numbing. I guess I'll have to hold off on that breakdown for now. I just have to make it two and a half more years.

1 comment:

Janna said...

Words fail, Emily. I'm so sad Liam and your family are going through this. I hope it all goes well and quickly, and the stress and bad stuff lessens. And the good stuff....much more of that.