Tuesday, August 19, 2008

More journaling about my kids.

This morning as we were reading scriptures together as a family Julia insisted that she wanted to read. We've helped her read before, but this time she didn't want any help. She took the scriptures and began telling a story about Flounder and Ariel, and beautiful girls swimming in the water. Belle was eating ice cream. Princess Julia and Liam were in the story too. It was wonderful. It was about time for Mark to go to work so I told Julia she needed to finish the story so we could say a prayer and she said, "no, not a story. Its scriptures." We let her read her "scriptures" for a while longer. It was so fun. And she even recognized a few letters in the book title! So far she's got S and O down and I think G too. I ought to sit down with her with some flash cards and see how many she actually knows. We haven't really tried to teach her the alphabet, its just what she has learned from ABC books and wonderful television. (Yes, I let my children watch television. And I do not feel guilty about it, because they have learned some really neat things from certain good shows. I recommend: Word World, Super Why, Barney, and Signing Time).

Another fun thing is listening to her prayers. Sometimes they are really long, and other times really short. One night she will pray for EVERYBODY in the family (mom, dad, liam, and every aunt and uncle and grandma and grandpa and cousin she has) and the next night she'll just pick a few. The best is listening to her prayers on a shopping day. Last night she was thankful for milk and juice and foods - things that we had bought that day.

I love listening to Julia play from another room. She is a non-stop talker and it is funny to hear what she says sometimes. Lately she's been saying, "little help! little help please. I need a little help here." I don't know where she got that, but I love to hear it!
Less cute is when I hear her telling someone to go to Time Out in her angry voice.

Liam is super cute when he says, "un-uh" and shakes his head no when he really means Yes. Gets confusing though.

There is a book that Liam loves called "Mom Mine" and it goes through a bunch of animal moms and their babies. Each page has two words that describe the animals. "Mom walk, Mom slide, Mom play, Mom hide," etc... He loves "Mom hide" and he hides his face in the book. When we get to the Kangaroo page it says, "Mom hop" and he says, "hop hop hop hop" and bounces on my lap. The last two pages have a human mom and then her hugging her baby and it says, "Mom mine loves me!" He always kisses the mom on each page. I think that may be my favorite book too!

4 comments:

GregR said...

What great learning stride the kids are making. Isn't is a wonderful thing to be a mom?
I enjoyed these ages with my kids beccause it was shortly after this that Steve died. They were my mother years. After he got sick things got crazy... enjoy

CGhica said...

Thanks for the sweet reminder of tender moments

Unknown said...

that is so adorable! You are getting me excited for #2 - I'm sure I won't get to these fun things for a WHILE but it's nice to know they're there in the future. And yes, no guilt for the TV - especially when it's obvious you read to them also!

bcwain said...

Oh Emily,
Thank you for sharing all the cute things they do and say. I love that you notice them and know that they are precious. Sometimes we can get so caught up in our 'list of things' to do that we forget to pay attention to what they are doing, learning, and being. Thank you for being such a wonderful attentive mom. Love christine