People say that motherhood is a thankless job, and I'll admit that a lot of the time I agree with that statemement. However, its not really true. Mothering is very rewarding. I'm so thankful that I've been blessed to stay home with my children and take care of them. I've been blessed with a greater love than I had before and so much happiness. How can you not watch your child laugh and laugh and laugh while you play peek-a-boo for 10 minutes straight and not think that that is a "thank you?" My children laugh a lot. I don't know if its more than other children, or more than adults even, but its so beautiful and fun. I love to see them laugh.
The best thank you is when Liam pats me on the back, or gives me a nice tight hug. I really feel like he means "I love you, thank you" when he does that.
Julia is really good at saying, "thank you," and I think she really means it more than just as a habit or good manners. There's not much sweeter than handing her a cup of milk and having her walk away, then turn around, come back, and tell me "thanks, Mommy." Sometimes she gets caught up in her excitement, but she is always appreciative.
Early this morning, poor Julia threw up (quite a bit) all over herself in her bed. She called for me, telling me she was yucky and that she needed a bath. I gave her a bath and cleaned her bed, then rocked her for a while. We talked a little bit and as she started to get quiet I asked her what her favorite thing was. She didn't answer and I asked, "what do you love the most?" She answered, "Daddy." I said, "you love Daddy the most?" and she said, "yes." How is that for a daughter's love? I rocked her a little more until she fell asleep. As I put her in bed she said something that I didn't hear so I asked her what she said, and her sweet little eyes peeked open to look at me, and she said, "thanks, mommy." Then she fell asleep. My heart melted. I didn't mind a bit that I had been up with her for an hour when I would have been asleep, or the stinky, sticky throw up I hand-washed out of clothes, animals, and bedding, or the extra load of laundry I did today.
Today was a good day. Julia felt better mostly today and we had a lot of fun. We even got some cleaning done and Julia helped rip the lettuce for the salad at dinner time. Liam and I played peek-a-boo in the laundry (his favorite) for quite a while.
Sometimes the days are hectic and crazy and the kids whine and cry and throw tantrums and I just want to cry because of the chaos. But not all days are like that. Its not a thankless job.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I loved this blog...thanks for sharing! I'm glad we have the blog world to keep in touch now cause I miss talking to you...oh and you've been tagged so go read my blog....luv ya
I am so grateful you posted this post. I have been feeling that "thankless" feeling recently and swapted my mind frame and things are a lot better. I really do think it's all in how we look at things. I loved hearing the sweet things your kids say and do! I wish we lived closer for play dates! It would be so fun!
I totally agree. These kids are the best thing that happens in our lives. I get thank you's a lot around here too.
That was a perfect post. Thanks Emily.
Kids make it all worth it in spite of the raising. Don't forget when they are old, they'll raise you back. Liam is walking!
Love ya, Janet
Oh Emily! My cup runneth over! Thank you, thank you, thank you for being that kind of mother!
Post a Comment